When you visit Bangalow Holistic Dentist for mercury amalgam removal, we will be following the SMART protocol. SMART protects you, our staff, and the environment, from harmful mercury vapour and particles, which are released at increased levels when mercury amalgam fillings are removed from the teeth.
What is SMART?
The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology has developed a set of safety recommendations for mercury amalgam filling removals. This protocol is known as SMART – Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique.
These extensive safety recommendations and protective measures are in addition to the traditional removal techniques (such as masks, high volume suction and water irrigation).
SMART protective measures include:
- Non-latex nitrile dental dam placed in the mouth and properly sealed
- High volume air filtration system – even for only one filling – to remove mercury vapour and amalgam particles
- Protective gown as substantial quantities of mercury particles are not collected by suction devices
- Windows open to reduce mercury concentration in the air
- Properly maintained and installed amalgam separator to ensure waste is not released into effluent from clinic
- Charcoal, chlorella or similar absorbent for patient to rinse with and swallow before procedure, unless contraindicated or declined by patient
- External air or oxygen via nasal mask or cannula, so no mercury vapour is inhaled during procedure
- Amalgam sectioned and removed in the largest chunks possible using a particular drill
These are some of the protective measure we adhere to at Bangalow Holistic Dentist. We’re sure you’re getting the picture that we take mercury amalgam filling removals seriously! You can find out more about the SMART protocols here:
Please note: Amalgam filling removal is not recommended for pregnant or breast-feeding women.
Dr Cluer is SMART certified for your safety
Dentists who have obtained SMART certification from the IAOMT have completed coursework and tests related to mercury and the safe removal of amalgam fillings.
If you live in or around Byron Bay, Lismore, or Ballina you won’t have to travel far. Our dental clinic is in the beautiful Northern Rivers township of Bangalow, NSW. Make an appointment online using our convenient booking system.